The data revolution, which started during the past decade, brought new possibilities for decision making and innovation based on the novel methods of analysis of (typically) vary large sets of data. Tourism Analytics is a new area in tourism research and education. Evidentially, the field is highly fragmented, the methods to analyze data are not firmly set, are still evolving and very fluid. However, the following common key areas, and methods emerge:
• Spatial data analysis and visualization with GIS. Includes mapping of tourist routes, travel photo locations, geo-locations of tweets, and other spatially distributed social data.
• Analysis of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and similar platforms), online customer reviews, tourist experiences reported online and other user-generated content. Involves network analysis, data mining and text analysis.
• Analysis of unstructured data: text analysis, analysis of photos and videos
• Sentiment analysis: one of the most active research areas in natural language processing, web/social network mining, and text/multimedia data mining.
• People as sensors (digital traces, big data from sensory experiences, Google glasses and such)
|Presenter||Andrei Kirilenko*, University of Florida, Svetlana Stepchenkova, University of Florida, Topic modeling of negative reviews on TripAdvisor||15||12:30 PM|
|Presenter||Yang Yang*, Temple University, A big data analytics of nocturnal tourists||15||12:45 PM|
|Presenter||Lijuan Su*, University of Florida, Svetlana Stepchenkova, University of Florida, The information transmissions dynamics of online firestorm: 5-star hotel hygiene horror on Sina Weibo||15||1:00 PM|
|Presenter||Luyu Wang*, University of Florida, Angélica Almeyda Zambrano, University of Florida, Zhaohe Xu, Amazon.com, Inc, Culture and Travel Experience in Natural Environments from Online User-Generated Content: The Grand Canyon National Park||15||1:15 PM|
|Presenter||Shihan Ma*, University of Florida, Andrei Kirilenko, University of Florida, Lijuan Su, University of Florida, Review of tourism-oriented travel based on social media data||15||1:30 PM|
To access contact information login