Panelists will be asked to reflect on:
• How can course instruction expand or complement faculty research?
• What guidance produces the best student generated research from a course?
• How can incorporating research into your classes help with tenure and promotion?
• What are the best ways for students to share their course projects with the community, research, practitioners, and potential employers?
• How can research generated from a course be framed and analyzed to reflect contributions from diverse students?
• Are university processes conducive to publishing teaching methods and findings from research generated by students in a specific course or set of courses?
We hope to promote the alignment of teaching and research by capturing best practices, complexities and career development opportunities for instructors and students.
Submission process: If you would like to serve on this panel, please email Nicole Hutton (email@example.com) by November 8 with your name, institutional affiliation, program and position, and briefly outline the student centered research experiences that you would like to discuss on the panel (250 word limit).
Each year the Geography Faculty Development Alliance (GFDA) Early Career Workshop convenes early career faculty and advanced graduate students to explore the fundamental interconnections between their teaching and research, and to advance the scholarship of teaching and learning across the entire discipline. This session is seeking participants from faculty, graduate students, and practitioners that incorporate student research projects into their classes or have been involved in research for a course project as a trainer, participant, or communicator. Panelists will share candid assessments of their experiences with the successes and failures of teaching methods that engage classrooms of students as researchers to contribute to the field of geography. Participation in a GFDA Early Career Workshop is not required to be a panelist.
|Panelist||Timur Hammond Syracuse University||15|
|Panelist||Jonathan Wessell Grand Valley State University||15|
|Panelist||Christopher Labosier Longwood University||15|
|Panelist||Timothy Hawthorne University of Central Florida||15|
|Panelist||Nicole Hutton Old Dominion University||15|
To access contact information login