Authors: Noemi Mendez*, U.S. Census Bureau, Alexandra Barker, US Census Bureau
Topics: Education , Geography Education, Resources
Keywords: census, geography, data, GIS, free, education, online
Session Type: Virtual Lightning Paper
Start / End Time: 9:35 AM / 10:50 AM
Room: Virtual 19
Presentation File: No File Uploaded
The Census Bureau provides statistical and spatial data to the Geocommunity. We are enhancing our support by introducing Census Academy, our new online education and training platform that provides free digital resources to data users.
Whether users are looking for in-depth knowledge on how to access Census data, or interested in getting some quick tips about how to utilize it, Census Academy offers a variety of digital content for data users at all skill levels
· Learn-At-Your-Own-Pace courses about Census Bureau data and data tools, as well as about many other resources available to the public.
· Data Gems (short “how-to” videos) that are an easy and quick way to increase your knowledge about Census products.
· Live virtual classes where users can interact with subject matter experts and learn about our data releases and data tools.
· Request online or in person trainings for their organizations from the Data Dissemination Services team.
Census Academy’s catalog of GIS/spatial courses include:
• Analyzing census data in Excel
• Census data with R
• Mapping census data with R in Choroplethr
• The Ins, Outs and Whereabouts of Census Geography
• Preprocessing and Visualizing Census Data with Python
• Visualizing Census Data for Excel and R with the Census API
In our session we intend to cover how Census Academy content can be used by the GIS community to:
• Analyze market segmentation.
• Plan for emergencies
• Study social and economic relationships between geographies
• Enhance their technical skills as no